Translate

Friday, June 14, 2019

Fathers Who Fish


What is it that attracts people to fishing? Is it the thrill of the chase, catching a meal, or just relaxing? I, myself, have never really been attracted to fishing, but the men (and one granddaughter) in my family love to fish.
My father, Frank George Newhouse (1906-1972); my brother, Douglas Frank Newhouse (1948-2003); my son, Patrick Alan Oliver, and his children Daniel, Tyler, and Ashleigh were or are fishing enthusiasts.
My dad, Frank, was not a hunter – except for game birds – but he did fish. He did not camp out in the wild; but, if there was a resort cabin near a fishing lake, river, or stream, he was all gung-ho.  Since we lived in Minnesota, his fishing was on one of the many “10,000 great lakes,” trout streams, and the Mississippi River. I grew up loving to eat freshwater fish.

Frank Newhouse - late 1940s
My brother, Doug, was introduced to fishing before he was five years old by my dad. His first fish, a trout, was captured in the below picture (look below the arrow). I have memories of him coming home from a couple of hours of fishing in the local lake with a whole bunch of bullheads. I thought they looked disgusting, and I do not remember ever eating them. However, my mom, Florence Swinburne Newhouse (1907-1997), always told Doug that she would cook whatever he brought home, as long as he cleaned it.  So, even though I do not remember eating bullheads – my husband has assured me they are edible – we must have had them at plenty of suppers as Doug kept bringing them home.
Doug's first fish with Dad looking on
Then there is my son, Patrick. When he was about seven years old, he talked my husband, Jim, into teaching him how to fish (and clean the fish), even though Jim, himself, is not a fisherman. [However, as a child, he did go fishing with his grandfather George Myron Oliver (1871-1953)]. From that time forward, there was no looking back. Patrick started fishing in Minnesota and continued to pursue this sport as he traveled around the U.S. during his 20-plus years in the military. Today, he is fishing in Virginia with his two sons Daniel, aged 12; Tyler, aged 9; and occasionally, his daughter Ashleigh, aged 6. I do not know if his children like to fish, but they always have a smile on their faces in the pictures I have seen.

Daniel getting some help from dad and then showing off his fish - May 2019
 As Father’s Day approaches, I cannot help but reflect on the fathers in my family who taught their children to fish. I think for the fathers the appeal of this pastime is about spending time with family, spending time relaxing, spending time in the great outdoors, and spending time making memories with their children.

Tyler with dad holding a whopper - 2016
Ashleigh - her 1st fish, 2017 (Dad is helping to hold it)

No comments:

Post a Comment